Bamboo Forums  
     Gallery: Bamboo Flora      Gallery: Bamboo Arts & Crafts     Gallery: Bamboo Workshop Help support bamboocraft.net

Register FAQ Members List Bamboo Events Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Bamboo Forums > Bamboo Workshop > Working with Bamboo
Active Topics: 7 days  30 days  60 days - must be logged in to view all posts
Working with Bamboo General discussion: All aspects about design, construction, tools and techniques.

Post New Thread Reply

Old 2nd June 2004, 08:08 PM
Tatty

How can I keep the color of harvested bamboo?

I live in puerto rico and I'm new here. I like to work with bamboo, but I would like to know how can I keep the color of my bamboo. See I do jewelry, earings and stuff like that. Can anybody give me a hint?
Old 3rd June 2004, 07:25 AM
Mark Meckes

Hi Tatty and welcome!
Bamboo changes it's color many times. Each year that it is growing the colors gradually change. The color of the bamboo provides a good indication of when the bamboo is ready for harvest.

After the bamboo is harvested, the bamboo changes color again while it is drying. The color can vary considerably depending on how the bamboo is dried, and other treatments that are used.
There are many different natural colors of bamboo.... greens, greys, golds, yellows, orange, blacks, browns, speckled and blotched, striped etc etc

... and they all change color when dried.

Keeping some of the original color or changing to a new color is a very interesting subject and I look forward to discussing this more.

What kind of bamboo are you using .... and what color?
Hey good to hear about your making jewelry.
Carole and I make a few things too, to take to craft shows several times a year

Mark
Mark Meckes - www.bamboocraft.net

My Photos: Gallery
- Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop
Old 3rd June 2004, 10:28 AM
Tatty

Some of my bamboo jewelry

Hi here are some of my jewelry I made from bamboo, and the background is one of my paintings in acrylic. I really don't know what's the kind of bamboo I work on but I usually use the thin one and here in Puerto Rico there's a lot of bamboo everywhere I choose to use the thin one and the gold color ones.

Bamboo Necklace Bamboo Necklace and Earrings
Bamboo and Tropical Seed Jewelry and other Crafts

My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Arts & Crafts

Old 14th June 2004, 09:22 AM
Mark Meckes

Cool! Carole and I have a special fondness for bamboo beads because we met each other through a `bamboo bead exchange'!

Neat paintings! It gives your jewelry a tropical flavour.
Have you painted bamboo scenes too?

Yes I have heard that there is a lot of bamboo in Puerto Rico!
One day I would like to visit the Tropical Agriculture Research Station at Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
They have a collection of many different bamboo species there.

Another way bamboo changes color is with wear. Also bamboo carvings change color as they age...

I've been wearing one of Carole's bamboo beaded eyeglass holders every day for over 3 years now, and here's a picture of it.

bamboo beads which have changed color with wear.

The bamboo beads, which were made from the branches of Phyllostachys aurea (Golden Bamboo) have changed from a light golden color to deep tan.

Here's a picture showing how drying methods can affect the color change. Phyllostachys aurea - Texas
See photo

Mark
Mark Meckes - www.bamboocraft.net

My Photos: Gallery
- Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop
Old 15th June 2004, 09:51 AM
Tatty

Hi mark,
I live in Puerto Rico and I didn't even know about that place in mayaguez. I live like 10 minutes from there... it's funny right! I love the stuff you made, There cute : -) how did you get to cut the edges of those little things? and how do you get the colors on the beads? Do you paint them? Me and my husband are going to visit the place in Mayaguez to see if I can find the bamboo I want to make some candle holders. I will be posting some of the new stuff I made so you can check it out.

Keep in touch;
Tatty.
Bamboo and Tropical Seed Jewelry and other Crafts

My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Arts & Crafts

Post New Thread Reply