Bamboo Forums  
     Gallery: Bamboo Flora      Gallery: Bamboo Arts & Crafts     Gallery: Bamboo Workshop Help support bamboocraft.net

Register FAQ Members List Bamboo Events Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Bamboo Forums > Bamboo Flora > Growing Bamboo
Active Topics: 7 days  30 days  60 days - must be logged in to view all posts
Growing Bamboo General discussion - Identification, selection, propagation, care

Post New Thread Reply

Old 2nd May 2011, 07:26 PM
TheWoodsman

How much does an acre of bamboo bring in a year?

I have around 30 acres of land and wanted to grow bamboo if it would be profitable. I'm not worried about the start-up cost. Say after 5-6 years and it is established, how much revenue would an acre of bamboo make a year? Just a average number not getting into species of bamboo or anything yet. Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:32 AM
CaroleMeckes

tricky question - a lot depends on what kind of market you can develop in the years that your bamboo is developing
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 09:28 AM
cngodles

Also would need to know if you are selling it to people as a plant, or as cut poles. Species planted would also come into play.
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 06:38 PM
bamboosasquatch

Alabama

Where can I sell bamboo at in Alabama? What type is best for selling based on value and growth rate time etc. Any other information anyone can give me on this subject would be greatly appreciated, Thank you very much.
Old 18th October 2013, 01:56 PM
jtkach

Where you can sell bamboo depends on the markets you are interested in selling too.

There are many small local/regional markets available to growers for commodities such as shoots, poles, and live plants. Farmer's markets in urban areas are particularly good for this type of exchange.

Currently there are no domestic markets that I am aware of which handle large scale exchanges of raw bamboo material. That being said there are a few companies, small and large, and many individuals that are currently focusing their efforts and capital on creating large domestically supplied markets for bamboo. Alabama is currently ground zero for a few industrial scale R&D projects which may or may not pan out. If they do, say in the next 5-10 years, then farming large tracts of bamboo may be an option that may be available to you if you are growing the correct species. Proximity to future processing facilities will also be an important determining factor in whether the markets will be an option to any given individual grower.

If you want to stay in the loop on developments within these markets, and want to network with individuals and companies pursuing large scale domestic markets, you should join the American Bamboo Society and the Southeast Chapter if you are not already a member.
Post New Thread Reply