Bamboo Forums  
     Gallery: Bamboo Flora      Gallery: Bamboo Arts & Crafts     Gallery: Bamboo Workshop Help support bamboocraft.net

Register FAQ Members List Bamboo Events Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Bamboo Forums > Bamboo Workshop > Bamboo Tools and Techniques
Active Topics: 7 days  30 days  60 days - must be logged in to view all posts
Bamboo Tools and Techniques Tools, equipment and accessories used for working with bamboo.

Post New Thread Reply

Old 8th October 2010, 11:08 AM
RebeccaD

Bamboo virgin needs to know how to start!

Hello. Having seen lovely bamboo cloches for the garden, I'd like to start working with bamboo, but am struggling to find any books or practical techniques on the web. Can anyone point me in the right direction. The forum seems to be full of very experienced and skilled people, so apologies for my complete lack of knowledge!
Rebecca x
Old 8th October 2010, 01:32 PM
CaroleMeckes

Hi Rebecca and wel'culm' to the Bamboo Forums!

I was not familiar with the word cloche - so I googled it and found this site:
http://westsidegardener.com/howto/cloche.html which describes how to make a garden cloche using PVC pipe.

Here are some tips to replace the pvc used in the instructions with bamboo:

Use the tops of the bamboo because they are more flexible and should bend easily. Green bamboo is more pliable than dry bamboo and will have less chance of breaking when you bend it.

You can also try using the tops of 2 different pieces of bamboo and weave the tops together to form an arch.

feel free to post any questions.
Carole
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 07:39 PM
CaroleMeckes

here's a few pictures of the tops of the bamboo woven together to form an arch

My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 05:25 AM
RebeccaD

Moveable cloches

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'm such a novice, though, that I don't know how to work with bamboo at all. I'd envisaged weaving a bell-shaped cloche and a tunnel that could be moved around as needed. I've attached two pics of what they look like. So....I suppose I really need to start with basics of working with bamboo, and that probably means a book recommendation? Rebecca x
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bamboo_cloches_tunnel-250x250.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2275  Click image for larger version

Name:	imagemagic.php.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2276  
Old 9th October 2010, 08:27 AM
CaroleMeckes

Your pictures are a pretty "advanced project". I'd suggest starting with something easier to accomplish for a first project....

Here are links to 2 different books that are about working with bamboo:

How to Build with Bamboo by Joseph Scheer
http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/showthread.php?t=828

The Craft and Art of Bamboo by Carol Stangler
http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/showthread.php?t=560
Old 12th October 2010, 10:15 PM
BEARKAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaD View Post
Hello. Having seen lovely bamboo cloches for the garden, I'd like to start working with bamboo, but am struggling to find any books or practical techniques on the web. Can anyone point me in the right direction. The forum seems to be full of very experienced and skilled people, so apologies for my complete lack of knowledge!
Rebecca x
MOST OF THE ITEMS YOU WISH TO LEARN ABOUT HAS BEEN HANDED DOWN THROUGH FAMILIES. CHECK YOUR LIBRARY ON JAPANESE CULTURES AND TECHNIQUES OF WORKING WITH BAMBOO. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO SOME EXTENSIVE RESERCH.
Post New Thread Reply