Bamboo Forums  
     Gallery: Bamboo Flora      Gallery: Bamboo Arts & Crafts     Gallery: Bamboo Workshop Help support bamboocraft.net

Register FAQ Members List Bamboo Events Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Bamboo Forums > Bamboo Workshop > Working with Bamboo
Active Topics: 7 days  30 days  60 days - must be logged in to view all posts
Working with Bamboo General discussion: All aspects about design, construction, tools and techniques.

Post New Thread Reply

Old 18th June 2010, 09:17 PM
kennstokes

Bamboo and bamboo products - Philippines

Hi, I live in the Philippines and am surrounded by bamboo! I am actually retired (from the US), but I do bamboo construction (houses and fences) and make bamboo furniture, bicycle frames, and landscape fixtures. I also ship poles to other countries. Would love to hear from others in the business or those of you that might me looking for bamboo or bamboo products (there are also craftsman around me that I can steer you too). I soon hope to be involved with bamboo fabrics and weaves.
Old 20th September 2010, 08:04 PM
Saija

The tinkling is the National Dance of the Philippines, according to the Philippine government.The tinkling is an indigenous dance from the Philippines that involves two people beating, tapping, and sliding bamboo poles on the ground and against each other in coordination with one or more dancers who step over and in between the poles in a dance. The name is a reference to birds locally known as tiling, which can be any of a number of rail species; the term tinkling literally means "tiling-like
Old 30th January 2011, 03:50 AM
wmbcal@aol.com

Bamboo house

looking to building a 1000 sq ft home single story in the moutains of Cebu, not right away Bamboo is one option I was considering did not want to go with concrete walls, what can you tell me about building with bamboo, I have been in construction in Calif, framing, drywall, plumbing, electrical and remodiling etc, but as I see things are done differnt here, I am also retired here have to go back next month and have a container shipped here with my tools and equipment and etc. Jack (wmbcal@aol.com )
Old 7th February 2011, 03:25 PM
byerly.caleb

I also live in the Philippines and build native Manobo instruments. I know quite a bit about the species of bamboo in the Mindanao, at least in my area of Mindanao. Do you ship bamboo to the states?
Old 8th February 2011, 06:58 AM
byerly.caleb

building bamboo house

I built a house with bamboo in the jungle of Mindanao. I had the locals show me their cultivated secrets about the process of making their homes. If I was you, I would try to find some great Filipinos in the area that know about the different species.

The species of bamboo in the Philippines that I built my house is called "Kawaian". That's either the local or Filipino name for it. It's really strong! It grows really tall. When you harvest the bamboo, make sure that it's decently mature (you'll see brown and tan stops on the side of it). I got really wide bamboo, like around 7-8 inch diameter. I shaved the skin off and let it dry out and air cure for 2 weeks before I did anything else. From that point you can do whatever you want with the bamboo. I actually split it down into sections about 3 inches wide and used those as vertical "panels" for the outsiding.

Just make sure that you cure it afterwards with something that the bugs won't eat all of the bamboo. I waited 2 weeks before I did that and bugs already were inside eating away, and it was so annoying to figure out how to kill all of them.

Blessings,
caleb
Old 4th August 2012, 08:11 AM
cesarmalba

Mr. Cesar M. Alba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennstokes View Post
Hi, I live in the Philippines and am surrounded by bamboo! I am actually retired (from the US), but I do bamboo construction (houses and fences) and make bamboo furniture, bicycle frames, and landscape fixtures. I also ship poles to other countries. Would love to hear from others in the business or those of you that might me looking for bamboo or bamboo products (there are also craftsman around me that I can steer you too). I soon hope to be involved with bamboo fabrics and weaves.
I want to know if you could build a bamboo house for me in the Philippines. I have a picture in mind that kind of house to build. My email address is cesarmalba@aol.com.

Cesar M. Alba
Old 11th August 2012, 11:14 PM
cesarmalba

Bamboo Joinary & construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennstokes View Post
Can you build a bamboo house using bamboo joinery?
Post New Thread Reply