Bamboo Forums  
     Gallery: Bamboo Flora      Gallery: Bamboo Arts & Crafts     Gallery: Bamboo Workshop Help support bamboocraft.net

Register FAQ Members List Bamboo Events Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Bamboo Forums > Bamboo Flora > Growing Bamboo
Active Topics: 7 days  30 days  60 days - must be logged in to view all posts
Growing Bamboo General discussion - Identification, selection, propagation, care

Post New Thread Reply

Old 19th December 2009, 04:16 PM
Dean W.

Bambusa oldhamii desicated in the cold

Some of the top of my Bambusa oldhamii was dessicated or frozen back during the recent lows hoovering around 20 degrees. I suppose I'll wait tell spring to see what survives and prune then.
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 10:24 AM
tallgrass

18 degrees got mine too

I was out of town during a 3 day cold snap that got down to 18 degrees. Bambusa Tuldoides, and Oldhamii lost all their leaves and all new shoots. This happens every year but they always come back in the spring even bigger. My hope is that they will eventually create a large enough environmental area to be able to withstand short cold snaps. the big problem is the late shooting. older culms lose the leaves but put out new ones in the spring. B. Alphonse Karr did ok with no apparent damage. I'm going to try some B. Textilis, does anyone have any they would trade for a Phy. Dulcis?
Old 13th January 2010, 10:28 AM
samajax

Here in the central part of Austin, my temps got down close to 20 (19?).

Since most of my semi-tropicals are young plants, I had damage to nearly every one- except for the Multiplex varieties- but they are older plants. I made some large mounds of oak leaves around the base of the plants, but the B. Chungii and the Otatea came out with some major leaf damage. Hopefully the Chungii culms will re leaf, but the Otatea will probably be coming back from the ground only

To my surprise, the B. Mutabilis and the B. dolichomerithalla- planted in the fall/2009 came through OK- even the young culm that came up in November.

The fall/2009 planting of B Pervariabilis viridistriata looked pretty sad, so come spring we will see.

I know most will come back strong, but my low temp experiments based on historical lows- nothing below 23 since 1997, were thrown way off as to species selection. Such an odd winter. I'll have to send in my report to Robert Saporito at Tropical Bamboo Nursery.

Can't wait until spring!
Old 13th January 2010, 04:41 PM
Dean W.

The Farmers Almanac reported that it would be a colder and wetter Winter for us in 2010.
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 12:41 PM
Cercyonis

Damage Report

After a low of 14 degrees with whipping winds near Rockdale, Texas, here is the report:

Bambusa textilis 'Kanapaha' (about two years in the ground, 20 or so 15' culms): complete foliage loss, culms look good; I bound the majority of the culms together with bungee cords to keep them from whipping around

B. multiplex 'Silverstripe' (one just planted this fall and some in pots): about 1/2 of foliage lost

B. tuldoides ventricosa (very large, well-established in the ground): very severe foliage damage, culms seem okay

Phyllostachys aurea (well-established, in exposed location): some foliage damage

Ph. nigra (well-established, in exposed location): about 1/2 of foliage lost

Many other Phyllostachys species couldn't have cared less...
Post New Thread Reply