Bamboo Forums  
     Gallery: Bamboo Flora      Gallery: Bamboo Arts & Crafts     Gallery: Bamboo Workshop Help support bamboocraft.net

Register FAQ Members List Bamboo Events Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Bamboo Forums > Bamboo Workshop > Working with Bamboo
Active Topics: 7 days  30 days  60 days - must be logged in to view all posts
Working with Bamboo General discussion: All aspects about design, construction, tools and techniques.

Post New Thread Reply

Old 7th November 2009, 07:26 PM
bamboo tim

cutting bamboo

Hi just interested in some ideas on how you cut cured bamboo without splintering on the edges.Is there any type of power saw you can use and what type of hand saw and what technique do you use.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:29 AM
urbangleaner56

I'd like to find out how to do this too.

Also, best way/tool to cut down green bamboo-to harvest it. There are lots of bamboo patches/clumps (?) growing in my area, and I'd like to make use of it. No, sorry, I have no idea what type/species they are. I'm in Oklahoma, if that helps any. Anyway, I want to use very young/small dia. bamboo to make my own bent handles-Japanese style-for my teapots.

So HELP!!!

And Thanks
Leigh
Old 8th August 2010, 08:07 PM
seagatemike

best saw to cut banboo

the best way to cut bamboo is to use a hack saw. the saw is used to cut metal. it has fine teeth. cost is very low for sale in all hardware stores a pack of extra blades very low cost.the saw makes a clean cut because of the fine teeth.later mike
Old 8th August 2010, 09:55 PM
CaroleMeckes

If the bamboo has already been harvested from the grove - a bandsaw makes a very beautiful smooth cut - but the smoothness of the cut is also dependent on the type of bandsaw blade that you use.
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 10:22 PM
CaroleMeckes

another trick you can do is the wrap masking tape around the spot that you want to cut and cut through the masking tape. I rarely do this - but heard it is a good thing to do.

My very favorite hand saw is a Gyokucho 10" Hardwood Saw distributed by Japan Woodworkers.
The description on their website reads as follows:
Quote:
Our RazorSaw for Hardwoods has a blade length of 10" and is 22" long with 22 cross-cut teeth per inch. This saw is designed for crosscuts in such woods as oak, teak, maple and exotic hardwoods. The blade is 0.020˝ thick and has a fine tooth pattern for incredibly smooth, accurate cuts. This saw is also suitable for fine cuts in softwoods. The teeth are impulse hardened for extended wear. The handle is wrapped with bamboo for a firm grip. Extra blades are available.
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13087
Product ID: 19.105.0

This saw was recommended to me by Adam Turtle.
I'm on my third blade and ready to order a fourth blade.

I actually don't use this saw all the time - but save it for special cuts.

The everyday hand saws that I use are Vaughan Bear Saws decribed in this thread: http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1090 I use these Vaughan Bear Saws in the grove to harvest.
I've looked at power sawzalls - but they are just too heavy for me to even lift.
(guess I'm a light weight......)

Anyone know of a "light weight" power saw that could be used in the grove?
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 11:53 AM
urbangleaner56

Cool!
Thanks for all the help! I'm so glad I found this site.
Leigh
Old 5th September 2010, 04:10 PM
Grok

For Urbangleaner

+1 on Japan Woodworker saws.

I live in Norman, Oklahoma and I'm looking for bamboo that I can harvest (10-5 canes) to make Atlatl darts.

Any suggestions as to where to find canes 6 feet to 8 feet long?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st October 2010, 10:19 PM
juliew9855

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleMeckes View Post
another trick you can do is the wrap masking tape around the spot that you want to cut and cut through the masking tape. I rarely do this - but heard it is a good thing to do.

My very favorite hand saw is a Gyokucho 10" Hardwood Saw distributed by Japan Woodworkers.
The description on their website reads as follows:

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13087
Product ID: 19.105.0

This saw was recommended to me by Adam Turtle.
I'm on my third blade and ready to order a fourth blade.

I actually don't use this saw all the time - but save it for special cuts.

The everyday hand saws that I use are Vaughan Bear Saws decribed in this thread: http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1090 I use these Vaughan Bear Saws in the grove to harvest.
I've looked a power sawzalls - but they are just too heavy for me to even lift.
(guess I'm a light weight......)

Anyone know of a "light weight" power saw that could be used in the grove?

Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.
Old 14th March 2011, 03:54 PM
sarahk

Cutting woven bamboo curtain panels

Does anyone know what the easiest way is to cut woven bamboo curtain panels??? or can this be done?
Old 14th March 2011, 04:06 PM
sarahk

I need to cut the curtain panels length way, therefore, I'm not sure if that can be done since it's woven
Old 15th March 2011, 01:33 AM
CaroleMeckes

Sarah
tell us more about the woven bamboo curtains that you want to cut -

Do you want to cut them because they are not the correct size for your window?
or do you want to cut them to use the bamboo for another project?
Carole
Old 15th March 2011, 07:09 PM
sarahk

I just need to cut them to make them fit. But the problem is, I would need to cut them length wise, which I'm afraid will cause them to become unwoven. So I really don't know if this can be done. I needed the full curtain panel for the length but really only need each of them about 12" wide not 42"....
Old 15th March 2011, 09:35 PM
CaroleMeckes

try putting some masking tape on the shade before you cut it - that would keep it together and if it unravels - you might have to reweave it
Old 3rd April 2011, 04:07 PM
Judy Cupas

Cutting small-diameter pieces

I'm an artist. I've successfully used a Dremel 8200 saw blade to cut very small-diameter pieces (1/8 to 1/4 inch).
Old 15th April 2011, 06:06 AM
maryelliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk View Post
Does anyone know what the easiest way is to cut woven bamboo curtain panels??? or can this be done?
I used a Roto Zip spiral cut tool that cuts with the side of its drill bit looking cutter. It is like a larger version of a Dremel tool. It cut my big tube socket holes with no splinters at all.
Post New Thread Reply