Bamboo Forums  
     Gallery: Bamboo Flora      Gallery: Bamboo Arts & Crafts     Gallery: Bamboo Workshop Help support bamboocraft.net

Register FAQ Members List Bamboo Events Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Bamboo Forums > Bamboo Workshop > Working with Bamboo
Active Topics: 7 days  30 days  60 days - must be logged in to view all posts
Working with Bamboo General discussion: All aspects about design, construction, tools and techniques.

Post New Thread Reply

Old 22nd September 2007, 07:48 PM
Miz June

Process for making bamboo fabric?

I've been trying to find out the mechanical process for making bamboo linen, but all I have found is the chemical process, which makes rayon. I'm hoping to make bamboo fibers at home-any advice?
Old 2nd January 2008, 04:39 AM
funkylyn

Making bamboo fabric?

Hi - I've just joined and I also want to learn about making Bamboo fabric. I run an organization (voluntary) in Vietnam and wish to set up a workshop for women to produce this fabric - if its feasible. Also open to other ideas for bamboo use (as long as there is a market).
Old 4th January 2008, 05:45 AM
Wildtouch

Making Bamboo Cloth

Just found this info: http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_...-facts-be.html

Tells alot about how bamboo is made into cloth. Hope this helps.
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 08:44 AM
funkylyn

Making bamboo fibre for fabric

Thanks for that Wildtouch - its the best info I have received.

We wouldn't consider using the chemical method as it sounds too dangerous -however I'm tempted to try the mechanical way. I wonder how much bamboo is needed to make a reasonable amount of fibre. I also wonder what equipment is needed and where to get it.

Has anyone in this forum ever tried any of this?

Thanks again.
Best regards
Lyn
Old 29th May 2008, 08:10 AM
keoexe

bamboo fabric

Hi Funkylyn,
I don't know how to make bamboo fabric neither what equipement you need but I am actually in contact with an organisation who take care of a center dedicated for bamboo, I'm also looking for bamboo fabric in order to make tshirts, contact me please.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:31 PM
menyou

chao lyn,
i'm very interested in your project and was looking for bamboofabric in vietnam before. i'm at the moment in phu an bamboo village for research on planting. can i maybe have your email adress? i have some questiones and further i could help you to get some answers.
greets
manuel,nguoi thuy-si
Old 28th June 2008, 01:14 AM
allmywebsite1

i don't know exact about bamboo fabrics but i made my hut from the same and i m now satisfied from that hut bcoz it is quite good looking and strong..
Old 16th August 2008, 01:52 PM
magicbean

I guess it's up to us.

I'm very interested in this too, a non-chemical means of making bamboo thread for weaving. There's *got* to be a flax/linen like way of making this. Flax is retted (rotted) to expose the fibers, which can then be combed and spun on a wheel into linen. There are plenty of other plant fibers that can be spun - milkweed, stinging nettle...I'm knowledgeable enough about spinning to give it a shot, does anyone know enough about the composition of bamboo to speak on what might "rot" the fibers and release them? I don't grow bamboo though and would need a source to play with.
Old 12th October 2008, 09:04 PM
denizen

I read that bamboo paint brushes are made by burying the end of the bamboo until it rots. So that means it rots when buried and turns into fairly fine fibers... As I recall, the process took something like 3 months.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:46 PM
LeVanna

Bamboo Fabrics? What is it? Can it be made by a low impact proccess?

I am also interested in making bamboo fabric. I am planning a business models for a localized bamboo farm dedicated to fabric apparel. I will be designing a vertically integrated, low impact and sustainable enterprise that will function as a bamboo farm with an on site manufacturing facility to create the fabric and make the apparel. The waste from the manufacturing process will be used to create building materials to be sold. Anywhoo, Here are some of the links I have found so far, I would love to participate in any alliances or info sharing on this topic as it is a newish passion to me.

hoping to hear from someone
LV

http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_...-facts-be.html
http://www.inbar.int/
http://www.bambootech.org/subsubtop....&subname=BOOKS
http://www.chinasuppliers.globalsour...0000179327.htm
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:28 PM
eco vietnam

buying bamboo in vietnam

I just started a local NGO working with women in the central highlands to produce ecological fairtrade clothes. I would like to know where to buy organical bamboo fabric. Did you start up your production organisation in Vietnam yet? Does anyone knows where I can buy organical fabrics, preferably bamboo in vietnam?
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:31 PM
eco vietnam

find bamboo fabric in vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by menyou View Post
chao lyn,
i'm very interested in your project and was looking for bamboofabric in vietnam before. i'm at the moment in phu an bamboo village for research on planting. can i maybe have your email adress? i have some questiones and further i could help you to get some answers.
greets
manuel,nguoi thuy-si
I am also looking for bamboo fabrics in vietnam. Could you help me find an organisation that produces organic bamboo fabrics in Vietnam?
Old 17th May 2010, 08:25 AM
mam4043

status of fair trade in Vietnam

What progress has there been with the fair trade clothing in Vietnam. I am interested in a similar project in southern China. Maybe we can help each other. I am researching the idea of a start-up company that utilizes fair trade practices with bamboo, in particular clothing.
Old 6th August 2010, 05:02 PM
epenniman

bamboo textiles

Seems to me that processing any type of textiles is very labor intensive or requires complicated machinery. Think about how much work it is to process wool or cotton into a garment, and these materials are already fabric like. Bamboo is very un-fabric like. I know that bamboo fabric is very desirable so I hope that you are successful. I look forward to learning more...
Old 6th August 2010, 06:56 PM
njrollergirl

i think (keyword is think) i may have figured how how to break down bamboo without the use of chemicals. I haven't actually tried this out yet, but i've been doing a done of reading on it over the last month and this is just the conclusion i've come to. i'm currently working on a blog post that goes into extreme detail as to how i've come to this conclusion, but here's the basic jist of it:
first, crush the bamboo. then submerge it in water, let sit until it becomes a mushy mass (not sure how long this is going to take). the natural enzymes that you may have read about on websites isn't something that you add to the water- the enzymes are in the bamboo itself, and they're activated when the crushed bamboo is submerged in water for long periods of time. This is also called natural enzyme retting. from there, you have to comb the fibers out of the mush, clean, dry and then spin into yarn. how you comb fibers out of mush and then clean them however, i have yet to figure out.
like i said, this is what i've figured out from reading different articles and i'm not actually sure if it works or not. nor am i sure if the bamboo needs to be in a covered container or if it needs to be exposed to air to properly break down. since there's really no step by step method out there for those of us who want to do it ourselves (atleast, none that i can find), it's just trial and error.
hope this helps anyone out there!
Post New Thread Reply