Bamboo Forums  
     Gallery: Bamboo Flora      Gallery: Bamboo Arts & Crafts     Gallery: Bamboo Workshop Help support bamboocraft.net

Register FAQ Members List Bamboo Events Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Bamboo Forums > Bamboo Workshop > Bamboo Preservation and Treatments
Active Topics: 7 days  30 days  60 days - must be logged in to view all posts
Bamboo Preservation and Treatments Discuss drying, storage, and bamboo preservation treatments. Also See Forum Post Harvest Bamboo Pests

Post New Thread Reply

Old 5th May 2008, 12:20 PM
Bambiboo

how do I finish my outdoor furniture?

Hello, I'm hoping someone could offer some advice. I purchased a bamboo patio furniture set a couple of years ago and the varnish that was on it began to crack, crystallize and come off. I just recently sanded it all off and I now have a blank slate. I want to protect the furniture from the elements, but I was hoping that I could just use an oil, something that will absorb into the bamboo rather than sit on top and something natural if possible. Any suggestions?
Old 9th May 2008, 11:53 PM
CaroleMeckes

Hello Bambiboo,
Since you sanded off the shiny surface of the bamboo - you could try using a stain.

I'm not sure about oil, although I have run some interesting experiments - taking a piece of older dry bamboo and set the end in a container with some coconut suntan oil that I had and it was cool watching the oil become absorbed into the bamboo. This was a very slow process and lasted about 6 weeks or so (depending on the length of the bamboo) and you could see the oil moving up on the bamboo culm during this time. I would often add more oil in the container to help it along.

I don't know if it would be practical for you to experiment setting a "leg" of your chair in a container with oil...

Maybe you are willing to experiment....

Carole
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 11:27 PM
johndavis709

RE: How do I finish my outdoor furniture?

Hi,
I need some help please..I have a 4 piece teak wood outdoor furniture set..It is about 3 years old..It is starting to loose its varnish and shine and has started looking a bit ugly..I am quite concerned because it is a very expensive set and I don't wish to replace it for another 5 years..Please suggest me any remedy for it..Please reply with your valuable suggestions people..
Waiting for your replies..
Old 15th March 2011, 12:38 AM
CaroleMeckes

have you considered refinishing the furniture set?
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 11:36 PM
senyterner

Bamboo furniture is good and it needs safety precautions to handle it with care.Most of the people allow visitors frequently who uses this furniture repeatedly in an usual or in unusual manner. Applying oils and resins on the surface of bamboo furniture will not only gives shining but also hardness and smoothness.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:38 PM
stuartwillson

RE: how do I finish my outdoor furniture?

Hi,
I think that this cracking of bamboo and the varnish coming off is a very common and major problem in any kind of bamboo furniture, hence I prefer cedar or teak wood furniture over bamboo.
Old 16th September 2011, 03:26 PM
GeorgiaBooGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartwillson View Post
Hi,
I think that this cracking of bamboo and the varnish coming off is a very common and major problem in any kind of bamboo furniture, hence I prefer cedar or teak wood furniture over bamboo.
Then why post at all on a bamboo furniture topic? O.o

But with that said, all wood at some point must be treated and cared for properly for longevity. I have to seal my wood deck and fence periodically to keep it nice. Thats just the reality of using wood products of any type. If you want something long lasting, looks like wood, and requires little to no care, consider faux wood products.

I would be concerned with just treated it with oils because in the heat it could put off some of these oils and be transfered to clothing.
Old 27th September 2011, 02:31 PM
lazydude

New Furniture

A stain would probably work best. You do have to also realize that all outdoor furniture will never last forever due to it sitting outside all of the time. It might just be time for new furniture.
Old 10th November 2011, 07:12 AM
Patiosclotures

Patio furniture is different from the interior furniture for they require some special cleaning or repainting-they are usually rough and tumble. Outdoor furniture requires a lot of maintenance for they are exposed to all kinds of elements such as weather conditions.
Old 7th February 2012, 09:55 AM
Safari Nick

Sikkens makes a coating that a number of our customers claim has been very good for preserving their bamboo. It does make the bamboo a little shiny (and to me, slightly plastic-looking). You might try taking a look at something like that. The benefit is that the coating is very thick, and does hold up in the harshest UV conditions.

The waxy natural skin of the bamboo will normally prevent a stain from adhering; however, since you've already sanded it, a urethane stain is probably your best bet.

I hope that helps!
Post New Thread Reply