Bamboo Forums  
     Gallery: Bamboo Flora      Gallery: Bamboo Arts & Crafts     Gallery: Bamboo Workshop Help support bamboocraft.net

Register FAQ Members List Bamboo Events Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Bamboo Forums > Bamboo Workshop > Working with Bamboo
Active Topics: 7 days  30 days  60 days - must be logged in to view all posts
Working with Bamboo General discussion: All aspects about design, construction, tools and techniques.

Post New Thread Reply

Old 31st March 2010, 07:08 AM
2cv6

Bamboo kayak cart / dolly

Hi everyone,

my name's Jana, I'm from Germany - chorus: hi Jana! - and I think about building a kayak cart / dolly out of bamboo. I've got several questions, and I'm totally new to working with bamboo. First, let me please apologize if my command (or not) of English causes misinterpretations or misunderstandings, I hope to find help here, I don't want to appear rude or anything. If I put something wrong, please tell!

My questions are: or rather, the most important question is: is it feasible?

I've got a 25-kilo foldable kayak, that plus some gear would mean that the cart should handle about 40+ kilo over sometimes pretty rugged terrain. With this in mind, I envisioned a scissoring type of cart with two parts that look like a lying X flanked by two vertical poles:

Frontal view

I><I (the X is two crossing poles, there's no gap in the middle, that's from using the < and > sign... just to make sure!)
I....I (dots only inserted because you can't have several spaces)
o--o (<- wheels and axle)

Side view

\/ (<- scissors open, can be folded for putting the cart in the kayak)
o (<-wheel)
(can't get it aligned properly using only letters, I hope my idea comes across)

The cart's axle (inox) also should work as the scissoring joint for the two parts.

Maybe the structure would permit disconnecting the axle like this

.I><I
.I....I
o-...-o (same thing with the dots here)

which would give the cart a higher clearance in rough terrain.

Please do tell me if my crude drawings (if they can even be called drawings) are insufficient...

I started thinking of doing this with bamboo because it's relatively light-weight and (at least I hope so) better to work than aluminum tubing (and cheaper, of course - I don't want to use anything fancy but thought of going to the local hardware store to buy the bamboo in their gardening section, they have pretty much all diameters on display - do tell if this is not a good idea, please!). Another thought was - of course - water impact on the bamboo. Kayaking obviously exposes the cart to quite a lot of water (sweet and brine), so I probably should take steps - but what steps?

And how thick should the material be? And how should I join it? Roping would result in bits of both pieces sticking out over the other which, at least at the top, I don't want - I think it would be too dangerous for abrasions on the kayak's hide. Drilling and joining with screws would make it easier to make it foldable, and I know my way around drilling and screws, I guess, but maybe there are other techniques I haven't thought of yet - you're more experienced!

And another (dreamy) thought: if this does scissor, nothing keeps me from opening it up some more when I'm on the beach and using it as a chair / backrest, does it? - one side on the ground, one as backrest, with another pole or maybe two to keep it up. Like this:

/\_ (Pole = /, cart = \_)

How much loadbearing would that need? I don't want to keep me off the ground, just to rest my back against it. I think of determing the maximum width of the opening with a cloth-type cradle for the kayak, truck plane PVC or something, and for this I would have another one that's longer, or even use only one, taking it double for kayak duty and single for beach chair duty.

What do you think of my daydreams? I'm looking forward to any thoughts, even those that go "can't (or shouldn't) be done".

Thanks!

Jana
Old 1st April 2010, 09:00 PM
CaroleMeckes

Hi Jana,
That is quite a description!

I don't know where to start...
Carole
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 05:39 AM
2cv6

Yeah, I know... I'm sorry. Still, all thoughts are appreciated!
Old 10th April 2010, 08:02 AM
CaroleMeckes

Do you have any bamboo to work with?
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 09:59 PM
CaroleMeckes

you gotta start by getting some bamboo to work with
Post New Thread Reply