Bamboo Forums  
     Gallery: Bamboo Flora      Gallery: Bamboo Arts & Crafts     Gallery: Bamboo Workshop Help support bamboocraft.net

Register FAQ Members List Bamboo Events Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Bamboo Forums > Bamboo Flora > Growing Bamboo
Active Topics: 7 days  30 days  60 days - must be logged in to view all posts
Growing Bamboo General discussion - Identification, selection, propagation, care

Post New Thread Reply

Old 22nd December 2009, 07:28 PM
Iguanaman

Eating bamboo shoots

Since I have bamboo doing well and I expect this spring to see (hopefully) a number of shoots my question is:

How does one harvest bamboo shoots in order to eat them? While I probably won't be doing this until they are very well established I would like to know the procedure if anyone knows. Do you pull them up once they are a certain height? What part is edible? (I have black bamboo) and how do you make that part edible? Is it ready-to-eat or does it have to be cooked?
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:48 PM
CaroleMeckes

Here is an interesting thread about bamboo shoots.

If you are lazy you can cut the shoots off at the ground - but if you want to get more of the shoot - you can dig down and get the whole shoot down to where it is connected to the rhizome. Use a small sharp shovel to do this.
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 04:18 PM
sasa fool

Greetings, although I seldom remember to do this, ideally I like to identify the shoots I want to eat as soon as they are first visible above ground, usually under an inch tall. Then I put a 1 gallon nursery pot over them upside down - a coffee can would surely work. When they have grown enough to lift the cover off the ground cut 'em down and eat 'em. The cover keeps the light off/chlorophyll down and they are sweeter.

I slice them in half longways and then gently push from the outside toward the cut/exposed center - the softest part usually pops up and I pull it out discarding the rest.
Brad Salmon - Needmore Bamboo Co. - www.needmorebamboo.com Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 04:33 PM
Iguanaman

Since I don't recall ever eating these before what are they similar too? Water chestnuts or something else?
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:33 PM
CaroleMeckes

Brad, I really like your description of an ideal way to approach harvesting bamboo shoots.

I'd say they kinda taste like being from the cabbage family.....

Carole
My Photos: Gallery - Bamboo Flora - - - Bamboo Arts & Crafts - - - Bamboo Workshop Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 01:36 PM
Iguanaman

Thanks for the information! I hope this variety is somewhat edible/tasty. Do you have to cook the shoots or can they be eaten raw?
Old 24th December 2009, 01:40 PM
CaroleMeckes

Generally people cook bambo shoots - although I have heard people say they have eaten them raw.

Do you know which species you have growing?
Old 24th December 2009, 01:45 PM
Iguanaman

The bamboo is P. Nigra
Old 24th December 2009, 01:50 PM
CaroleMeckes

I've only eaten a little bit of P nigra as my plantings are fairly new - but it is a good one
Old 29th December 2009, 11:47 AM
sasa fool

To me they taste like baby corn, I particularly like Phyllostachys bissetii. I always will nibble a raw shoot of a given species to see how they taste, usually there is an acrid/bitter aftertaste that vanishes upon stir frying, some are decent even raw.
Brad Salmon - Needmore Bamboo Co. - www.needmorebamboo.com Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply