PDA

View Full Version : Newly Planted Bamboo Watering Plan (textilis gracilis)

JdMauiBamboo
25th July 2013, 11:17 PM
Hi There,

I am hoping some people can help me with my watering plan for my newly planted Bamboo. I live in Maui, Hawaii. I planted 20 textilis plants, 8 feet apart, about 10 days ago along a busy road which borders one side of my half acre property. The plants were in 5 gallon pots, some of them have new culms which are shooting out of the ground and actively growing. All plants have about 2 inches of mulch and were planted with composted horse manure in well draining soil. All plants receive sunlight for the full day.

I live in a very sunny area at 1200 ft that receives little to no rainfall during summer. We get very windy conditions most days with an average max of 82 to 90 degrees. I have drip irrigation installed with 2 gallon emitters placed at the base of each plant. For the first week I was running the drip irrigation for 2 hours each day just before dawn. For the second week I have dialed that back to 90 minutes. 2 of the 20 plants show significant leaf curl during the heat of the day, the rest seem fine. When I go out at dawn the leaves on the 2 plants have mostly uncurled. Interestingly those 2 plants are the smallest of the 20 that were delivered (both only 4 feet tall, others are mostly 6 to 9 ft).

My questions are the following:

- Should I be concerned about the leaf curl on the smaller plants?
- For next week (week 3 and beyond what should I set my watering schedule on (how often and for how long)?
- When is the next time I should feed my plants? I plan on using horse and steer manure which I can source locally and is well broken down?
- At the moment my irrigation emitters are at the base of each plant, should I place more emitters between plants so they grow together in a hedge like fashion?

Many thanks.

JD

CaroleMeckes
25th July 2013, 11:53 PM
Hello and wel'culm' to the Bamboo Forums.

Your questions could probably be best answered by some of the members of the Hawaii Bamboo Society and they are planning a meeting next Sunday, July 28, 2013. They will be meeting at Quindembo Nursery. I've uploaded the lastest copy of the "Bamboo Bridge" which is the Hawaii Bamboo Society Newsletter and the directions to the nursery are listed in the newsletter.

You can also check out the Hawaii Bamboo Society Chapter's facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/47444478405/

JdMauiBamboo
26th July 2013, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the tip Carole, most appreciated!